1. How do I apply for rental housing assistance?
Persons may apply via the internet during open enrollment at the Arlington Housing Authority website ( www.arlingtonhousing.us )
If you do not have a computer or internet access, you may use the facilities and equipment free of charge at any branch of the Arlington Public Library or you may use a computer in the lobby of the Arlington Housing Authority (AHA) located at 501 W. Sanford Street, Suite 20.
2. What is my status on the waiting list?
Each applicant should be registered on AssistanceCheck. To identify your status on the waiting list, go to www.assistancecheck.com. The AHA contacts applicants that are selected from the waiting list by email and may, at its sole discretion, communicate by phone or mail. Be sure that your email address, phone number, and your mailing address is correct on your application.
3. How do I make a change to my waiting list application?
It is most important that you report any changes to your email address, phone number, or your mailing address. To report changes to your contact information any other changes on your original application go to www.assistancecheck.com.Changes can be made through the internet. If you do not have a computer or internet access, you may use the facilities and equipment free of charge at any branch of the Arlington Public Library or you may use a computer in the lobby of the AHA.When you submitted your application, you were issued a receipt and you were instructed to print a copy of this receipt for your records. The receipt contains a unique PIN number, valuable information, and instructions on updating your application. Have your receipt available when you log on to the Internet.
- In your web browser, type www.assistancecheck.com
- Answer the questions that appear on the screen
- Follow the instructions given
- Enter your last name (as it appears on your application), date of birth, social security number, and the PIN number as shown on your receipt
- After you log into AssistanceCheck the first time, you will become a registered user on the Applicant Portal. While in AssistanceCheck you can check the status of your application and make updates to the information on your application, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. [Remember to record and save your AssistantCheck username, password, and PIN number for future reference]
4. Has my paperwork been received?
Applicants can send information to the AHA through the AssistanceCheck – Applicant Portal. When you send information to the AHA through the AssistanceCheck – Applicant Portal, the portal will record the date and time you sent the information or updated your application on-line. You may print confirmation from the computer for your records. If you do, please keep this confirmation page for your records.
5. I am homeless. Does the AHA provide emergency shelter?
The AHA does not provide emergency shelter. The three emergency shelters located in Arlington are: the Arlington Life Shelter, Salvation Army, and SafeHaven of Tarrant County. While the AHA does not provide emergency shelter, it operates the Homeless Housing and Services Program (HHSP) which provides financial assistance to prevent eviction and possible homelessness. The AHA also has several programs to assist persons through transitional housing and rapid rehousing that are already homeless. For more information about the eviction/homeless prevention services and the Homeless Assistance services, CLICK HERE
6. I am homeless. How do I apply for your homeless programs?
The AHA accepts referrals to participate in its rental housing assistance programs for homeless persons from the following organizations:
- Arlington Life Shelter
- Safe Haven of Tarrant County
- Mental Health Mental Retardation
- Recovery Resource Council
- Catholic Charities
- AIDS Outreach Center
- Salvation Army
The AHA operates the Homeless Housing and Services Program (HHSP). HHSP services to persons that are homeless include help getting an apartment (payment of application fees, security deposit, and first month’s rent). For more information about the eviction/homeless prevention services and the Homeless Assistance services, CLICK HERE