Old Town Historic District
Old Town Historic District encompasses approximately seven blocks
of late 19th and early 20th century residential properties located at the northern end of the Original Town plat of Arlington (1896). It includes early additions of the Fitzhugh and Collins Addition (1904), Thomas Heirs Addition (1907) and the Ditto Bone Addition (1907). This district is generally bounded by Sanford, North, Elm, and Oak streets.
This cluster of buildings depicts examples of vernacular and nationally popular architectural styles from late 19th century through pre-WWII housing, including Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Bungalow, and Art Moderne. It has some of the earliest turn of the century examples of L-plan dwellings coexisting with bungalows and post-war tract housing. Residences in the neighborhood housed early pioneers, community leaders, merchants, and professionals.
Kooken Elementary School has been the educational center of the neighborhood for over 100 years. The building represents one of the few examples of Works Progress Administration architecture in Arlington.
South Center Street Historic District
The South Center Street Historic District comprises a row of Craftsman inspired bungalows and ancillary structures along the east side of the 500 and 600 blocks of South Center Street. The majority of the dwellings display Craftsman and Classical Revival stylistic influences. It includes early additions of the J. Huitt Survey, J.W. Christopher Addition (1907), and William H. Rose Addition (1916).
In 1916, W.H. Rose, a developer, merchant, and future mayor of Arlington, subdivided this plat of land and built the fi rst home, located at 501 South Center Street, for his family. Mr. Rose perceived this as a desirable location due to Center Street being Arlington’s major north-south thoroughfare, easy access to the Interurban and downtown businesses and the close proximity to the future Grubbs Vocational College, now UT Arlington.
The South Center Street Historic District encompasses the best remaining group of early 20th century bungalows in Arlington and represents an important link to the city’s past.