Those interested in employment with the Arlington Fire Department must register to take an entrance examination. Registration requires an online application through the City of Arlington’s Career Opportunities webpage. Eligible applicants will receive an email confirming registration to take the exam. The confirmation e-mail will contain information about the exam, date, time and place.Applicants who pass the examination will be placed on an eligibility list ranked by exam score and applicable military points for eligible veterans. The eligibility list remains in effect for a year. If an applicant wishes to be considered for employment after the list has expired or has been exhausted, whichever comes first, the applicant must register again and take the next scheduled entrance examination.
The eligibility requirements for an entry-level position in the City of Arlington Fire Department is established by the Texas Local Government Code Chapter 143 and the City of Arlington’s Fire Department Civil Service Commission Local Rules. The following represents part of these requirements. Applicants must:
- Must be at least 18 to 35 years of age at the time of testing. Must have reached 18 years of age as of the date of the exam, and not have reached 36 years of age as of the date of appointment.
- Must be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be able to pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) and/or other criminal background check(s).
For additional employment requirements, please refer to the City of Arlington’s Fire Department Civil Service Commission Local Rules and the City of Arlington Fire Department webpage.
Entrance Exam Eligibility
An applicant must properly complete a City of Arlington Fire Department Entrance Exam Application. This must be completed online. To view open exam processes within the Fire Department, click on the registration link below.After submitting your completed application, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to you if you are eligible to sit for the examination.