Christmas Tree Safety Tips
Picking the tree
1. Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
2. Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2” from the base of the trunk.
3. Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
4. Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
5. Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.Lighting the tree
6. Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
7. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
8. Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
9. Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.Download Christmas Tree Safety Tips (pdf).