The City of Arlington was incorporated on April 19, 1884. On January 17, 1920, the City Charter was adopted by the City Council. In 1949, the City adopted the City-Manager form of government, which authorizes the City Council to function as the City’s legislative body. City Council meetings are held at City Hall on Tuesdays in the Council Chamber.

City Charter

The City Charter is considered the fundamental law of a Home Rule municipality and is sometimes referred to as the local constitution.

The City Charter describes city boundaries, provides for the form of government, establishes the number of representatives on the City Council and defines the terms of office and how the City Council will be elected. The City Charter also describes the powers of the City Council and officers appointed by the City Council.

This important document was first adopted under the Home Rule amendment to the State Constitution on January 17, 1920. This definition only summarizes a portion of the contents of the City Charter.