The City of Arlington will implement Stage 1 of the Drought Contingency and Emergency Water Management Plan on Monday, June 3, 2013, in response to Tarrant Regional Water District’s (TRWD) decision to begin watering restrictions. The overall water supply system is close to 75 percent capacity and drought conditions are expected to persist in North Texas with summer temperatures and increased evaporation rates imminent.Arlington, along with the cities of Fort Worth and Mansfield, and the Trinity River Authority, purchases wholesale raw water from TRWD. The combined storage capacity supply is made up of Richland Chambers Reservoir, Cedar Creek Reservoir, Lake Bridgeport and Eagle Mountain Lake.The goal of Stage 1 drought restrictions is to conserve water supplies until conditions improve by reducing current water consumption by 5 percent through outdoor irrigation efficiencies. It is estimated that 50 to 60 percent of all water use during the summer months is attributed to outdoor irrigation, which represents an area of significant and practical water savings potential.To meet the 5 percent water savings goal, mandatory drought restrictions to prohibit non-essential water use include:Two day allowable watering schedule based on service address
- Wednesdays and Saturdays – residential addresses ending in an even number (0,2,4,6 or 8)
- Thursdays and Sundays – residential addresses ending in an odd number (1,3,5,7 or 9)
- Tuesdays and Fridays – all non-residential locations (apartments, businesses, parks, common areas, etc.)
- No outdoor watering between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. year round. Hand-held watering may be used any day and any time.
- Irrigation system water waste is prohibited. Inspect irrigation systems monthly for runoff and leaks.
- Hosing of paved areas or buildings is discouraged.
- Washing of any vehicle with a hand-held hose must have a shutoff nozzle. Vehicle washing may be done at any time at a commercial car wash.
All outdoor water users are encouraged to begin landscape, sprinkler and irrigation system preparations for the twice per week watering schedule. A drought information website is available and includes outdoor water saving tips through articles, short videos and professional publications on techniques to efficiently water your lawn, trees and landscape beds during drought. For the latest updates on the drought condition, full details of drought restrictions and drought watering tips, go to www.SaveArlingtonWater.com.