Frigid Weather Means Frozen Pipes


Brace yourself—winter is coming! With temperatures dropping below freezing, the City of Arlington wants to remind residents to protect their pipes and know what to do if water or sewer problems emerge when cold weather strikes.

Prepare for frozen weather by following these tips:

  • Open cabinet doors under sinks to expose pipes to heat within the house.
  • Allow hot and cold water to slowly drip from inside faucets.
  • Wrap exposed exterior pipes and faucets with foam insulation or newspaper.
  • Wrap pipes located in attics or garages with heat tape or cover them with pipe insulation.
  • Remove garden hoses from outside faucets.
  • Cover all openings around the foundation.
  • If planning to be out of town for an extended time, turn off water to the house and open faucets to reduce pressure.
  • If water pipes become frozen, let them thaw naturally by exposing warmer air to the pipes. Never try to thaw pipes using hair dryers or other forms of heat!
  • Turn off your outdoor irrigation system and only run it manually when needed this winter.
  • If you do not have a private water cutoff valve, and need help with turning your water off, call 817-275-5931 Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm, or 817-459-5900 after hours & on weekends.
  • Call Arlington Water Utilities at 817-459-5900 to report potential public water line breaks or to report slow leaks in public water lines that may cause ice to form.

You can also find some great information about preparing for freezing weather here:

Don’t forget to prepare your pets for frozen weather:

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted

[…] As the Arlington area continues to thaw, local plumbers are expecting a very busy week, answering calls for broken pipes. Pipes not only can burst when they are frozen, but also during the thawing process, which can lead to water damage. Read more on how you protect your pipes during frigid temperatures. […]

Kim Triolo Feil

Thank you….I truly believe if the roads ice up and our fire dept specialist division gas well response vehicles cannot get to the site or sites (or phone lines/power is down/communication is hampered), that a designated nearby homeowner should be instructed how to go to the site and know where to find and push the red, manual shut down button in the event of spillage or gas release. How do-able is this training in a pinch?

Kim Triolo Feil

Are there any measures we need to take to be prepared if any pipes break at a nearby drill site that we live by?

Kim Triolo Feil
Questions to ask when the power goes out if you live by a natural gas padsite…..we have about 60 here in Arlington. 1) How are all the drill sites, pipelines, compressor stations, procesing plants, and refineries doing? 2) If the waste hauling trucks cannot get to the storage tanks from over filling/spilling…the wells will auto shut in right? 3) And if the wells heads shut in from either freezing up or to prevent the storage tanks from spills, then will that cause a disruption to those power plants that use natural gas instead of coal? 4) Is that adding to… Read more »