Arlington Voters Head to Polls for May 10 Election

Arlington voters head to the polls Saturday, May 10, 2014 to decide on a number of races and tax propositions. Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.

Arlington City Council representatives for Single-Member Districts 1 and 2 and At-Large Districts 6 and 7 will be elected. Sample ballots, candidate and voting information can be found on the Arlington City Secretary’s website.

Voters will consider a Street Maintenance Sales Tax renewal to fund the maintenance, rehabilitation and repair of existing public streets within Arlington city limits. State legislation allows municipalities to collect a sales tax for the purpose of street maintenance after voter approval. The legislation requires approval every four years.

Arlington voters went to the polls in Sept. 2002 and approved a sales and use tax for street maintenance as a new funding source for ongoing street repair and maintenance. Voters reauthorized a sales tax in 2006 and 2010. The Street Maintenance Sales Tax collects approximately $12-14 million annually based on a four year average.

The current tax rate is 8 percent. Reauthorizing the street sales tax will not increase the tax rate. If approved, the renewal will begin on Jan. 1, 2015. The tax will expire on Dec. 31, 2019.

The Public Works and Transportation Department uses a pavement management system to help asses and determine maintenance needs. Once streets are identified for maintenance, coordination occurs with Water Utilities to ensure necessary utility renewals are completed concurrently with the street rehabilitation so the new street surface is not damaged shortly after work is completed.

Click here to see if your street is on the schedule for preventative maintenance or repair.

Voters also will consider a $663.1 million school bond package for Arlington AISD, which includes new academies, science labs, fine arts space and security enhancements.

Before you go!

Don’t forget your Voter Registration Card or current driver’s license. Other forms of ID can include a birth certificate, U.S. passport or utility bill.