Six Flags Over Texas announced a new ride on Thursday morning – The Joker free-fly coaster – that will open early next year.The Joker will be the Arlington park’s 13th and most wicked roller coaster, park officials said. The coaster is set to open in spring 2017 and will make a dynamic impact to the Gotham City section of Six Flags Over Texas.“We are excited to continue our partnership with the DC brand because it resonates well with our guests, plus The Joker is undeniably one of the greatest Super-Villains of all time” said Steve Martindale, Six Flags Over Texas park president. “The unpredictability and gravity-defying somersaults on this award-winning, spinning vertical coaster is the perfect addition to our already impressive coaster line-up.”After being lifted straight up a 12-story, 90-degree hill, the freestyle-coaster will wreak havoc as riders flip head-over-heels at least six times along the weightless journey. Thrill seekers will experience exhilarating leaps and dives along a horizontal plane, along with unexpected drops as they tumble from one level to the next. The wing seats amp up the pandemonium since riders will experience all of this chaos with no track above or below─ just the sky, ground and plenty of sinister thrills.The unique design of The Joker features:
- Massive, imposing, floating and twisting I-box track frame in a unique two-tone design
- One-of-a-kind onboard magnetic technology featuring smooth head-over-heels free-fly flips providing guests the feeling of weightlessness as they soar outside the confines of a traditional track
- 4-D wing vehicles that seat up to 8 per vehicle with a total of 5 vehicles
- Face-off seats that allow riders to face each other as they tumble head-over-heels
- A 120-foot-tall, 90-degree hill that is ascended by an elevator-style, chain link lift
- Two beyond 90-degree “raven” drops giving the sensation of free-falling.