The Arlington Police Department is currently accepting applications for a Lateral Transfer Academy for certified Texas Police Officers with a minimum of two years patrol experience. The 11-week abbreviated academy is anticipated to begin in April 2017.“The department is always looking for ways to enhance our recruiting strategies. With the regional market being so competitive, we are exploring this option to further increase our reach to qualified officers in Texas,” Recruiting and Personnel Sgt. Jeff Davis.EligibilityLateral Police officer applicants are eligible if they meet the following minimum requirements:
- Must possess a 4-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Currently employed full-time as a paid Texas Police Officer with a minimum of two years patrol experience handling a full array of police work.
- While thresholds for minimum sized departments and/or cities are not included, consideration will be given to those who more closely reflect the size of our department and/or Applicants must be employed by a municipality, Sheriff’s office or the Department of Public Safety.
ProcessLateral Police officer applicants will be required to successfully pass each of the four hiring phases. They consist of:
- Phase 1 – Preliminary interview and physical agility test.
- Phase 2 – Polygraph, medical and psychological examination.
- Phase 3 – Background investigation.
- Phase 4 – Final board interview.
SalaryLateral police officer applicants starting salary will be based on his or her continuous years of police service at their current department.
- 2 years – $65,338/year
- 3 years – $68,614/year
- 4 years – $72,049/year
- 5 years – $75,626/year
- 15 years – $77,519/year
- 20 years – $79,459/year
Additional Pay$110 per Month Education Pay / $50 per Month – Detective Pay / $50 per Month – Bilingual Pay / 5% Field Training Officer / 6% Shift Differential / $300 Clothing AllowanceAfter 5 years of continuous service, officers are eligible for Stability Index Pay which is paid at the rate of $112.33 x years. Officers will also receive Longevity Pay of $4 per month each year of service.Click here for more information about the Lateral Transfer Academy.