As part of its commitment to cost reduction, Arlington Water Utilities recently reviewed payment options it offers to residents. Results were presented to the Arlington City Council in January.Two payment methods topped all others in terms of expenses – payments at customer care locations and online credit/debit card payments. Arlington Water Utilities currently pays fees to debit/credit card companies for the processing of all debit/credit payments. In 2016, it was a cost of more than $540,000 to the public utility.As a result of this review of payment options:
- Arlington Water Utilities’ online billing contractor will add a $3 convenience fee to credit/debit card payments starting June 1, to offset the associated costs.
- Also starting June 1, credit/debit card payments at Water Utilities customer care locations – 101 W. Abram Street and 1100 SW Green Oaks Boulevard – will be accepted only at electronic customer service kiosks. A convenience fee will apply to kiosk payments. Customer care staff will continue to accept cash, checks and money orders, and handle customer inquiries.
- In addition, Arlington Water will not accept American Express after June 1 and credit/debit card payments of more than $500 will not be accepted after September 1.
Arlington Water estimates these changes will save Arlington residents as much as $540,000 yearly. The estimated cost savings is the equivalent of a one percent water/sewer rate increase for Arlington residents.Both customer care locations remain available for walk-in payments. Arlington Water will continue to monitor resident payment patterns and allocate its resources in ways that create value for residents.“Credit/debit card payments made online or with a customer care representative made up about 25 percent of total payments last year, but fees associated with those transactions have become a significant expense that has been charged to all Arlington residents,” said Arlington Water Utilities Director Buzz Pishkur. “Currently, Arlington Water recovers these expenses through water and sanitary sewer rates. We are making this change to allocate the cost of credit/debit card payments to the customers making them.”Utility Bill Payment OptionsAll current methods of payment remain in place for Arlington residents. Online check and credit/debit card payments can be made at www.arlingtontx.gov/water. Arlington Water offers several other ways to pay, including FREE monthly bank drafting. Visit www.arlingtontx.gov/water/bankdrafting to sign up.Other payment options include:
- Electronic customer service kiosks at 101 W. Abram Street or 1100 SW Green Oaks Boulevard take utility bill payments by check, credit/debit card or cash 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Kiosk payments include a convenience fee of up to $3. Customer care representatives at the water department locations above will accept cash, check and money order payments.
- Pay by mail. Please include your bill stub and mail a check or money order to: Arlington Water Utilities, P.O. Box 90020, Arlington, TX 76004-3020. No convenience fee applies.
- Payments also can be made at Fidelity Express locations throughout Arlington. To find a location nearby, visit arlingtontx.gov/water/payment-locations. A convenience fee applies.
- To make a payment by phone or for billing questions, call 817-275-5931. A convenience fee applies to phone payments.