Thinking about buying mulch, soaker hoses or a rain barrel to help conserve water in your landscaping? You can save some money by purchasing those and other select items during Texas’ Water-Efficient Products Sales Tax Holiday, which runs Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29.The Texas State Legislature created the holiday in 2015 to provide sales tax relief for the purchase of water conservation and water efficiency products. Texas residents will be able to purchase – tax free – any item with a WaterSense logo as well as items for personal residential property, including as irrigation hoses, moisture control systems and even plants.Contractors, landscapers and other service providers can also purchase or sell WaterSense products tax free as well. There is no limit on the number of qualifying items you can buy.Click here for more information.
During the holiday period, you can buy any product tax free that displays a WaterSense label or logo. These items can be bought for either personal or business purposes.
You can also buy certain water-conserving products tax free during the holiday period.Unlike WaterSense-labeled items, these items are only exempt when you buy them for use at your residential property.You can buy items tax free during the holiday that are used or planted for:
- conserving or retaining groundwater;
- recharging water tables; or
- decreasing ambient air temperature, and so limiting water evaporation.
Examples of items that qualify for the exemption include:
- a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
- a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system
- a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
- a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- plants, trees and grasses
- water-saving surfactants
- soil and compost
Examples of items that do not qualify for the exemption include:
- construction/building materials
- awnings and other items used to create shade
- air conditioners*
- ceiling fans*
*Certain air conditioners and ceiling fans can be bought tax free as part of the Energy Star Sales Tax Holiday during Memorial Day weekend.