Renovations, which include a longer walking trail and new shaded playground equipment, will soon be under way at Deaver Park in southwest Arlington.The Arlington City Council approved a $411,000 contract in June with Schmoldt Construction, Inc. of Celina for the park’s extensive makeover, expected to be complete by early 2019. Various sections of this 15.2-acre neighborhood park, located at 5800 Kelly Elliott Road, will be closed during construction. Arlington voters approved the park improvements during the 2014 bond election.Work in this phase includes:
- Extending the 10-foot-wide concrete trail around the east side of the stream that will begin to create a loop.
- Replacing the two playground structures with playground equipment that is more accessible as well as shaded. Playground structures will be designed for ages 2-5 and for ages 5-12. Swing sets will be installed for both age groups.
- Replacing the drinking water fountain
- Installing a new park monument sign
A second phase will include:
- Extending the 10-foot-wide concrete trail around the west side of the stream and adding a boardwalk crossing that will close the loop and bring the total walking path to one-half mile.
- Stream restoration
- Install an overlook that will provide views over the restored natural area.
The Deaver Park improvements align with the Arlington City Council priority to Champion Great Neighborhoods.Want to learn more about 2014 bond projects in The American Dream City? Check out our 2014 Bond Project Tracker webpage for maps, project timelines, articles and more.Don’t live near Deaver Park? Find out which beautiful public parks or other city amenities are close to you through the easy-to-use City of Arlington Neighborhood Amenities App.