Have you been dreaming about a long overdue kitchen remodel, magazine-worthy bathroom renovations or other costly upgrades to your home? The City of Arlington’s Home Improvement Incentive Program is in place to help you pay for capital improvements and energy efficient renovations that will increase the value of one of your most important investments.Homeowners who qualify could receive up to $5,000 from the City for their completed improvements.“The Arlington Home Improvement Incentive Program is our way to thank residents for investing in their homes and helping to maintain vibrant neighborhoods here in The American Dream City,” said Sarah Stubblefield, Senior Planner.All single-family residential homes in the City of Arlington are eligible for the rebate program, which was first launched in 2011. But before homeowners hire a contractor or head to the home improvement store, they must submit an application to the City and ensure their planned reconstruction or remodel project meets eligibility requirements.
How does it work?
A one-time rebate equal to 10 times the amount of the increase in City property taxes will be paid to the homeowner based on the home’s pre-improvement and post-improvement appraised value. For the purposes of this program, the Tarrant Appraisal District will determine the home’s certified value.If the property taxes owed to the City of Arlington increase by $200 after the improvements, for example, the homeowner would receive $2,000. Rebates will be paid up to a maximum of $5,000 per home.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible, homeowners must meet the following requirements:
- The homeowner must own the home, which must be located in the City of Arlington.
- The homeowner cannot be delinquent in taxes or other fees.
- Projects involving the reconstruction or remodel must cost at least $20,000 and be completed within 24 months of project approval.
- The homeowner must submit an application to the City of Arlington prior to improvement, and provide a cost estimate for the improvement project, consent to periodic inspections during construction and verify final construction costs.
- The homeowner must execute an Incentive Agreement with the City of Arlington.