Get ready for a full day of family history and genealogy workshops! The Arlington Public Library is offering another Genealogy Lock-In on Friday, Oct. 19 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the Downtown Library.Celebrate Family History Month with a live videos, streamed all day long from different locations around Texas. The Arlington Public Library will host the day’s final presentation, when Patti Gillespie’s presentation on U.S. Census data will be broadcast to 40 locations around the state.The Downtown Library closes at 6 p.m., but the genealogy presentations will keep going until 8:30 p.m.! Only the meeting room will be available after hours. Attendees who arrive after the library closes at should come to the building’s south lobby doors to join the Lock-in.Highlights of the Lock-in include a discussion by local genealogy expert Art Wilkins, who has spoken twice at the Arlington Public Library, at 1:40 p.m. Drew Smith, a speaker and podcaster, will present on DNA testing at 4 p.m. Finally, don’t miss Patti Gillespie’s presentation at 7:25 p.m., which will be presented live and in person at the Arlington Public Library.Click here to see full descriptions of the entire day’s schedule.Programming is come and go and includes something for everyone, including beginners. No registration is required. See the full schedule below:
- 10 a.m. – 10:50 a.m. – Don’t Forget the Ladies: A Genealogist’s Guide to Women and the Law, presented by Judy G. Russell, JD, CG, CGL, of The Legal Genealogist
- 11 a.m. – 11:50 am – Discovering Your Ancestors Land Holdings in the Texas GLO, presented by Kevin Klaus, with the Texas General Land Office (GLO) Archives and Records
- Noon – 1:30 p.m. – Genealogy Basics: Getting Started on Your Family Tree, presented by Carl Smith, with the Montgomery County Memorial Library System
- 1:40 p.m. – 2:40 p.m.– Organizing and Preserving Photograph Collections, presented by Ari Wilkins, with the Dallas Public Library
- 2:50 p.m. – 3:50 p.m. – Locating Ancestors on the Dawes Roll, presented by Kathy Huber, with the Tulsa City County Library
- 4 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. – Using Autosomal DNA Testing to Solve Genealogy Brick Walls, presented by Drew Smith, with the USF Tampa Library
- 5:15 p.m. – 6:15 p.m. – Dinner break. Attendees may bring their own meal or visit one of Downtown Arlington’s many restaurants.
- 6:15 p.m. – 7:15 p.m. – Breaking Brick Walls by Finding Living Cousins, presented by Shelby Rowan, President of Texas Research Ramblers Genealogical Society in Bryan/College Station
- 7:25 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. – Census Sense: Clues & Conundrums for Intermediate Researchers, presented by Patti Gillespie, with Family Lines & Stories
The Lock-in features experts from the Texas General Land Office, as well as authors and researchers. The Arlington Public Library’s Genealogy and Local History Librarian will be on hand as well to connect patrons with library and other area resources.Light snacks, water and coffee will be available throughout the day. A dinner break is built into the schedule from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., but dinner is not provided. Click here for more details, including full presentation summaries.