Here’s a look at some of aviation milestones that Bell has marked in Arlington.Then:
- The Flight Research Center was the focal point for early tiltrotor research aircraft – an innovative concept that combined the best features of the helicopter and the airplane. The first production Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey, the first tiltrotor aircraft to have operational military capabilities, was delivered to the U.S. Marine Corps in 1998. This monumental delivery was celebrated at the Flight Research Center just 10 years after the V-22 achieved first flight at this same location.
- Bell’s history of advanced military aircraft had milestone moments at the Flight Research Center. The Bell AH-1T+ SuperCobra, the backbone of the U.S. Marine Corps attack helicopter fleet for decades, made its first flight in 1983. That same year the Bell OH-58-Armed Kiowa Warrior prototype, designated for the U.S. Army, also achieved first flight.
- The Flight Research Center is a state-of-the-art facility that houses many of our newest technology and innovations including the 525, V-247, APT and Hydra.
- The facility also includes the Bell 525 RASIL (Relentless Advanced Systems Integration Laboratory.), Bell’s next-generation lab with a high level of automation, enabling superior testing and learning with better control and functionality than ever before.
- The V-247 simulator is also in work in the facility and will be installed over the next couple of years.