Homecoming is all about traditions that bring alumni, students and community members flooding back to Maverick Country to honor the past and get excited for the future.During Homecoming week, keep up with the latest and greatest Maverick Homecoming Style at the Mav Swap tents and the Maverick Mum Mania, and get your car decorated at the Paint Your Ride With Maverick Pride event.The UTA men’s basketball team home opener is 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 6, against UT Tyler at College Park Center. UTA students receive free admission.Mavericks are also preparing for the lineup of Homecoming competitions where teams will compete to win ultimate prizes, bragging rights and trophies. Students are partnering with local businesses to Decorate Downtown, game planning on how they will take on the Homecoming Challenge and gathering up their recipes for the Chili Cook-Off.“Homecoming is always a special time here at UTA,” said Lisa Nagy, vice president for student affairs. “From current students to recent graduates and alumni, we all come together to celebrate the community, to reconnect with old friends, see the growth of the University and feel the energy of Maverick Country.”The energy at The Bash on Thursday night will fill Texas Hall with concert sounds spilling outside with games, food and more. The special Homecoming-themed Global Grounds coffee hour, Black Maverick Homecoming Mixer, Party on the Plaza, and the Distinguished Alumni Awards event help celebrate past and current students.
Weekend Homecoming Events
The Movin’ Mavs and Lady Movin’ Mavs Homecoming Wheelchair Basketball tournament has games throughout the weekend.Military Appreciation Night starts at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 9, in the College Park Center Hospitality Suite. It precedes the 6:30 p.m. Maverick volleyball game against Texas State University.On Saturday, Nov. 10, students and alumni can celebrate with Maverick pride activities all day:
- The Homecoming Golf tournament is a four-person scramble at Waterchase Golf Club, where alumni, friends, faculty, staff and students tee off at 8 a.m.
- The annual Homecoming 5K Walk/Run/Roll begins at 10 a.m. and will wind through campus with participants raising money for UTA’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- The UTA women’s basketball team takes on Jackson State at 2:30 p.m. at College Park Center.
- The annual street festival begins at 3 p.m. on Spaniolo Drive.
- The annual UTA Homecoming Parade steps off at 5:15 p.m. and culminates with a pep rally in front of College Park Center.
- The men’s basketball game starts at 7 p.m. against Northern Iowa in College Park Center. The Homecoming King and Queen will be crowned at halftime.
Visit uta.edu/homecoming for the complete schedule of events and for tickets to games.