Are you making a resolution this year? Whether you want to try a major lifestyle change or just tweak one part of your life, the Arlington Public Library has the resources you need to make changes! The library has online resources, live workshops and events, groups to join, and of course, books. All of these are free with your library card. Below are some of America’s most common New Years Resolutions. If you’re tackling a change yourself, keep reading to discover how the library can help you change your life.
Exercise and Get in Shape
Meet your fitness goals with a wide selection of books! Click on the following links to search our collection, or browse the selection in person at any of our branches.
Take charge of your money and learn how our financial system works at free workshops this spring.
- Senior Housing Options Panel. Learn about housing options for retirement and their financial impacts on your life now and then, from a panel of experts.
- Saturday, Jan. 19, 2-4 p.m., Lake Arlington Branch
- Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Explained. Learn what cryptocurrency is and how it might affect the economy at this two-part seminar. The series is offered twice.
- Credit 101. Are bill collectors, bankruptcies, or unplanned life events keeping you up at night? In this workshop, learn how debt can be managed and credit can be repaired.
- Tuesday, March 19, 6:30-8 p.m., Southwest Branch
- Fix-a-Leak Day. Arlington Water Department professionals will help you fix your leaks and save water (and money)! Kids can enjoy educational water activities while specialists help you read your water bill.
- Saturday, March 23, 10 a.m. – noon, Downtown Library
It’s a big world out there. We’re offering a free series of workshop to help you make the most of your travel opportunities.
- International Travel Prep and Visas
- Wednesday, Jan. 30, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Southeast Branch
- The Right Gear for Your Trip
- Wednesday, Feb. 27, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Downtown Library
- Travel Safety and Awareness
- Wednesday, March 20, 6:30 – 7:30 p.m., Downtown Library
- Travel Tales: Life on an Expedition
- Wednesday, April 24, 6:30-7:30 a.m., Lake Arlington Branch
Find a New Job
The Arlington Public Library is the right spot to kick start your job search. Explore our free online tools and databases to learn new skills, improve your resume, find job postings and more. Each one is free to access with your library card.
- Vocational and Career Collection Designed to meet a wide variety of vocational and technical research needs, this collection provides full-text coverage for trade and industry-related periodicals including Modern Machine Shop, Pediatric Nursing, Wireless Week, Drug Store News, Reeves Journal, Restaurant Business, Advertising Age and many more.
- AtoZdatabases AtoZdatabases is the premier reference, research, marketing, mailing lists/sales leads, and job-search database. The database includes 30 million business & executive profiles and over 7 million real-time job listings.
- Career Center (LearningExpress) Are you preparing for a professional exam? Are you curious about a particular occupation or looking to improve your workplace skills? Learn skills and take practice tests in Career Center by Learning Express.
- Job & Career Accelerator Job & Career Accelerator is your personal job search management center. Powerful resume and cover letter builders with more than 120 ideal model resumes and sample letters.
- Lynda.com On demand, expert-taught video learning for computer software, business, and more. Earn certifications to add to your LinkedIn profile or resume.
Make a New Friend
Libraries are community hubs and are great places to meet people. Explore our events to find people who share your interests. Join a book club, attend a makerspace class, meet other parents in our storytimes, or make lasting connections as a library volunteer or Friends and Foundation member. Whatever your interest, we have a way for you to connect!