The current Downtown Master Plan for the City of Arlington was completed in 2004. Since that time, downtown has changed considerably with new development projects and growth from the University of Texas at Arlington campus. In addition, the Abram Street rebuild project will impact how pedestrians and vehicular traffic experience the Downtown environment.The City is interested in creating a vision and implementation strategy to guide development in the Downtown and surrounding areas of the City. Downtown Arlington is the civic and historic core of the City, and the Master Plan will account for a wide range of existing and future uses to create a vibrant destination for residents and visitors. The Downtown Master Plan will unify current projects and stakeholder visions to define a strong sense of place for Downtown Arlington, while remaining responsive to the history and current needs of the area. Additionally, the Plan must connect Downtown to growing entertainment, employment, and commercial centers within Arlington, as well as to the larger DFW region.The Downtown Master Plan update began in January 2018. Public involvement will be continuous throughout the project, with opportunities for input provided online, through public open houses, and other events. The final draft plan is slated for completion and Council consideration in Fall 2018. Stay tuned to this page for opportunities to be engaged in the planning process!
A series of public meetings will be held throughout the planning process. These meetings will provide opportunities for citizens to participate in the process, provide input, and review draft plan materials. All are welcome to attend. The meetings will be held on the following dates:
- May 9, 2018, from 6pm to 8pm, at Legal Draft Beer Co. (500 E. Division Street) View Presentation Here
- June 13, 2018, from 6pm to 8pm, at Legal Draft Beer Co. (500 E. Division Street). This is an open house event, so stop by anytime between 6pm and 8pm!
- September 19, 2018, from 6pm to 8pm, at the George W. Hawkes Downtown Library in the [re]Brary Room (100 S. Center Street)
A Downtown Master Plan Advisory Committee, made up of downtown business owners and stakeholders, will be convened and meet regularly throughout the project to provide guidance. Advisory Committee meetings are open to the public, and all are welcome to attend. The meetings will be held on the following dates:
- March 21, 2018, from 2pm to 4pm, at the Arlington Chamber of Commerce (505 E. Border Street)
- May 7, 2018, from 2pm to 4pm, at City Hall (101 W. Abram Street)
- June 11, 2018, from 2pm to 4pm, at City Hall (101 W. Abram Street) View Presentation Here
- August 16, 2018, from 2pm to 4pm, at City Hall (101 W. Abram Street)
A survey was provided for citizens and stakeholders in Downtown Arlington to give input on their vision for Downtown and to help inform the Master Plan. The survey is now closed, but you may contact Lyndsay Mitchell with questions or input.
The City of Arlington is beginning the process to develop a new Downtown Master Plan to create a vision and action strategy to guide growth in the Downtown and surrounding areas of the City.
In 2004, the city developed the Downtown Master Plan to be a guiding document for the revitalization of our Downtown area.
If you have any questions or feedback on this plan, please contact Lyndsay Mitchell, AICP, Planning Manager, at Lyndsay.Mitchell@arlingtontx.gov or 817-459-6653.