What is automated collection?
In the past, Arlington residents put their recycling in 22-gallon bins that were manually emptied into the recycling truck. With automated collection, residents place recycling in a specific type of cart. The cart is emptied into the recycling truck by a robotic collection arm of the vehicle.
What are the Benefits of Automated Collection?
Manual collection requires teams of 1-3 workers to lift and empty recycling bins into a collection vehicle. This physically demanding, repetitive work can result in injuries. It is slower, less efficient and results in much higher spillage rates.Manual collection also exposes workers to traffic or waste, which increases risk of serious injury, illness or even death.Automated collection requires special equipment, including trucks and carts. The most distinguishing feature of automated collection trucks is the robotic arm that lifts the cart and dumps recyclables into the truck. Positioning carts in the proper direction in the correct position is critical to success of automated collection.Some benefits of automated refuse collection include:
- Enhanced Service Delivery – Customer satisfaction rates are higher with automated collection than manual collection. Senior citizens like the convenience of using a cart program.
- Cleaner Communities – Carts have closed lids, are designed not to tip over and efficiently empty into trucks.
That means less materials on the streets of the community.
- Higher Recycling Rates – Automated recycling collection provides residents with a convenient wheeled cart for recyclables. This makes it easier for residents to recycle more.
- Improved Safety – Automated collection greatly reduces physical injuries and accidents for sanitation workers.
The result is lower turnover rates and fewer injury compensation claims. Drivers’ careers can also be extended with automated refuse collection.
Where/how should I place my cart on collection day?
Carts should be placed either in the street with wheels to the curb, or within 3 feet of street. Cart opening should face the street.Cart should be approximately 3 feet from bagged garbage, mail box, parked cars or any other obstruction.A vertical clearance of 14′ to 16’ is necessary for carts to be serviced. Low-hanging trees may obstruct cart from being serviced. (The minimum vertical clearance is 14 feet. However, 16 feet is preferable.)
How do I look up my collection day?
Who should I contact if my recycling is missed?
Please contact Republic Services at 817-317-2000 or email email@example.com. Recycling may be missed due to oversight by truck driver. A Notice of Noncollection tag will be placed on cart if it is not serviced for other reasons such as improper cart placement.Republic Services call center is open Monday – Friday from 7am-6pm, and on Saturdays from 8am-12noon.
Is there an ordinance that regulates the placement of recycling carts?
According to City code (Section 2.02 Residential Collection – Placement of Containers):
- Recycling carts should not be placed curbside prior to 7:00 p.m. the evening before your collection day.
- Recycling carts must be placed curbside no later than 7:00 a.m. on collection day to ensure pick up as recycling routes and pick up times vary.
- Recycling carts must be removed from the curb by 7:00 a.m. the morning after your collection day.
- When not placed at the curb for collection during the permitted times for scheduled collection, reusable recycling containers shall be stored so as not to be visible from the public street or right-of-way in front of the customer’s residential premises. (Health Ordinance 2.02.01 A)
Will I be charged a fee for the cart or the new recycling program?
Yes, the refuse rate on your monthly water bill will increase $0.54
Will the City ever consider using Automated Garbage collection?
Not at this time.
What if my cart breaks, I need new cart or an additional cart?
You may submit a request on our Issue with my Cart form.
What if my recycle day falls on a holiday?
Republic Services recognizes the following holidays:
- New Years Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If your recycling day falls on New Year’s Day, 4th of July, Labor Day or Thanksgiving Day, there will not be a makeup day. Your recycling will be collected on your next regular collection day.If your recycling day falls on Christmas Day, there will be a special collection the following Saturday. (Christmas Day and New Years day fall on the same day of the week; a makeup day is provided to avoid missing two consecutive weeks of collection.)
What if I am physically not capable of maneuvering the cart?
You may be eligible for door side service. Door side collection of recycling is provided for individuals who are unable to move their recycling to the curb for collection. Qualifying residents may place recycling just outside their front door or garage door.In order to qualify:
- There must be no other residents in the home physically able to move the recycling to the curb for collection, and
- Documentation such as a signed physician’s note or permanent handicap placard must be provided to the City of Arlington.
This service is provided at no extra cost to eligible residents. Please complete the form here.Return completed form or a photograph or copy of your permanent handicap placard to the City of Arlington.Mail To:
City of Arlington MS 13-0150
Attn: Jennifer Shaver
1011 W. Main Street
Arlington TX 76013Email to:
Fax to: 817-459-6379Your information will be processed as soon as possible. You will be notified once you are approved.If you have questions, please call 817-459-6778.